updated 9 months ago
This feature is only available on our Business Plan and higher.
1) Create an API User
If you already have an API User, skip this step. If you need to create one, continue on:
- In the lower left corner of your Dotdigital account, go to the person/gear icon and select Access.
- Select the API users tab (unless you're already on it).
- Click on New user.
- The username (email address) is automatically generated for you and must not be edited.
- You can add a description to differentiate between API users, which is useful if you have multiple ones.
- Enter a password and confirm it.
- Check the 'Enabled' box is ticked.
- Click Save.
2) Find your API Endpoint
At the top of the API users tab, it will provide you with the URL of your API endpoint. Copy it.
3) Connect to Dotdigital
When setting up your promotion, go to:
- Integrations > Email & SMS.
- Click Add Service > Dotdigital.
4) Complete the connection
To complete the connection within ViralSweep:
- Input the Dotdigital API Username that was created for the API user (found under the API users tab in your Dotdigital account).
- Input the Dotdigital API Password for the API user.
- Input the Dotdigital API URL.
- Choose between single, or verified double opt-in. Single opt-in will automatically add them to your list. Verified double will send them an email asking them to click a link to confirm before they are added to your list.
- Click Connect.
- Choose an Address Book to add leads to. Click Connect.
5) You're connected
The promotion is now connected to Dotdigital and all entries will be sent into the connected list.
What fields do you pass to Dotdigital?
Do you update subscribers?
Yes, if you run a promotion and we pass someone to Dotdigital, then you run another promotion in the future and the same person enters, we will automatically update their information in Dotdigital (if any new information is provided). Mainly, the referral URL will be updated with the newest URL for each promotion they enter.
If you have connected to Dotdigital and data is not being added to your list, these are the most common reasons as to why:
Email already in Dotdigital list
The email address entered into the promotion may already be in your Dotdigital list, so it will not be added again.
Email already entered into ViralSweep
The email address entered into the promotion has already been entered into the promotion previously, so therefore it is not passed to Dotdigital. This can happen if you set up your Dotdigital integration after you have already entered the promotion.
Delay in reporting
Dotdigital is having a delay in reporting. Try checking again in a few hours.
We're here to help
If you have any further questions, please start a Chat. Just "Click" on the chat icon in the lower right corner to talk with our support team.